2 questions (bash and gnu emacs)

Scott Henry scotth at corp.sgi.com
Fri Jun 28 00:38:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.180856.25051 at odi.com> benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:

benson> 2) when I run gnu emacs -display to my 4D, the bell
benson> rings very long. xset b does not shorten it. Any hints?

In the file .../emacs-18.5?/src/x11term.c (line 706 in 18.57), change the
line "XBell (XXdisplay,50);" to "XBell (XXdisplay,0);". This brings emacs
in line with other X apps in their use of the bell. This is one of the
things I automatically patch when I get a new version of GNU emacs.

Does anybody know (or understand) FSF's reasoning for giving emacs such
an obnoxious bell?

--
 Scott Henry <scotth at sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!