doing OS updates from a file.

Scott R. Presnell%Cohen srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Thu Jun 20 01:02:28 AEST 1991

I did updates on our systems last night (to 3.3.2).  I used distcp to copy
the tapes to a empty partition on host A, and did the updates using bootp()
as described in the release notes for hosts B, C, and D.

However, when It came to updating host A (where the files resided), I
couldn't figure out how to "boot" and get the miniroot.

For the "tapedevice" I tried things like dksc(0,1,6)/.../.../sa (I'm fairly
sure this is the correct description: ctrl=0, drive=1, partition=6) but the
prom came back with something about "couldn't determine fs type"

When I tried using the tape device I had further trouble with the timeouts
after the initial boot (booted, but couldn't find the mr). I ended up
copying "sa" and "mr" back to host B and using boop() B:/.../.../sa, etc.

So, how *would* one specifiy the so-called "tapedevice" for a local boot
file?  Was I close?

	Thanks.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet