Odd mail and network behavior under 3.3 (THE ANSWER)

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 7 08:03:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.164537.9306 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:
  ^^^^^^^ (me again  :-)  )

>I just upgraded from IRIX 3.2 to 3.3, and am having trouble receiving (but not
>sending) Internet mail [[ outside my local (Columbia) network ]].
>                                             ...[[Also, if]] I try to telnet
>from avogadro to a machine outside columbia, I get the message: "...Unable to
>connect to remote host: Network is unreachable."
>
>These problems did not occur under IRIX 3.2.

Several people suggested I should check my routing with "network -r", and
run:
	/usr/etc/route add default <my_gateway> 1

This worked, and I put together a network.local file in /etc/init.d, then
linked it symbolically as described in the comments within /etc/init.d/network.
Everything now works automatically at boot time;  but I still don't understand
why I never had to do this under 3.2.

Thank you, jit at slic.cellbio.duke.edu (Jit Keong Tan) and
dstewart at athena.cs.uga.edu (David Stewart) for pointing me in the right
direction.

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***