setting REMOTEHOST on rlogins

Rob Warnock rpw3 at rigden.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Jun 14 16:18:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.174725 at spruce.gsfc.nasa.gov>
karl at spruce.gsfc.nasa.gov (karl anderson) writes:
+---------------
| I'm just getting acquainted with SGI machines after using Suns alot.
| I see that when I rlogin to one of our Irises, an environment variable
| named "REMOTEHOST" is set to the name of the machine I'm logging in
| from.  Is this something unique to IRIX?
+---------------

Sorry, yes, as far as I know.

+---------------
| I'd love to be able to do that on my Suns - can anyone tell me how?
+---------------

It's done in "rlogind", if you feel energetic enough to go get Berkeley
"rlogind" source from UUNET (or your favorite archive), (re)invent the
changes [hint: use getpeername()], and make it run on your Suns.

-Rob

p.s. We also define the "REMOTEUSER" variable, as well.

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-1L/515		rpw3 at sgi.com		rpw3 at pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311