4D/310 vs HP 730

Jeff's Account jeffr at jeff.detroit.sgi.com
Fri Jun 14 22:59:45 AEST 1991

In article <10717 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>, vishy at catinhat.Berkeley.EDU (V. Visweswaran) writes:
|> We are looking for a compute-server for our lab of 5-6 users.  Right now,  we
|> have narrowed our options to two choices :
|>
|>  (1)  An HP 9000/730 with 48-64 Mb RAM, 1Gbyte disk space.
|>
|>  (2)  A Silicon Graphics 3D/310 server. The salesman for SGI has assured us
|>         that this would be upgraded to the MIPS R4000 chip when it is released.
|>        Again, the configuration would be 48-64 MB RAM and about 1 Gbyte of
|>        disk. (BTW, the 4d/310 is not really a standard product of SGI, but apparently
|>        they have been offering this route - 4d/310->R4000 - to a number of customers
|>        recently.
|>
|>         (Both configurations cost roughly the same)
|>
|>         The server (HP or SGI) would be to drive 4-5 X terminals and also act as a file
|>  server for a couple  of workstations from other vendors (MIPS/DEC).  Since our lab
|>  is essentially a chemical engineering design lab, we would be running a lot of
|>  optimization algorithms, which tend to be very floating-point intensive.   At any time,
|>  we expect some 4-5 big jobs of this type to be running in the background, so
|>  a primary factor in our choice is that the performance of the server for driving the
|>  terminals should not degrade too much even when these jobs are running in the
|>  background.  Moreover, these programs tend to also be I/O intensive, since they
|>  write out large solution files constantly .
|>
|>        Another factor that we need to consider is the expandability in terms of upgrades
|>  to faster CPUs. In the case of the SGI machines, these are inherently built for a
|>  multiprocessor machine, so it seems like these would be more expandable. In the
|> case of HP, we are not sure how expensive/easy it would be to upgrade to any newer
|> (faster?) chips that they might come up with.
|>
|>          Unfortunately, we have not been able to persuade the HP salesman to give us
|>  a demo machine,  so there is no way for us to evaluate the machine ourselves. I am
|>  curious as to whether someone has actually tested these machines in a multi-user
|>  environment, and if so, which one has the better performance.
|>
|>          Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.
|>

|> --
|> V. Visweswaran
|> --
|>
|> Bitnet: viswswrn at pucc    	        	|  Department of Chemical Engineering
|> Internet: vishy at catinhat.princeton.edu	|  Princeton University
|> Tel:    (609) 258-6754   	        	|  Princeton, NJ 08544

Apparently someone has been feeding you some bad information because the
4D/310 product has been on the SGI price list for somewhere around a year.
The upgrade to the R4000 chip is available to anyone buying either a single
CPU or multi-CPU machine.

Jeff Roberts			jeffr at sgi.com
System Engineer			(313) 478-5446
Silicon Graphics		VM 8504