4D35 Disks (I'm being bit) with Details!

John D. Woolverton woolstar at nntp-server.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 8 15:42:08 AEST 1991

    I had a nice, quiet, third party hitachi 3 1/2 drive in
my temporary 4d25, and when they upgraded to the 4d35, it
stopped working.
    Someone mentioned that the SCSI controllers changed from
SCSI1 to SCSI2.

    olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
> The only real difference in the SCSI chips between the 25 and the
> 35 is that we are using a plcc version of the chip at 20 Mhz,
> rather than a DIP at 10 Mhz.  This means that some of the internal
> cycle times are shorter for the microcode, but that seems unlikely
> to be your problem.

> The 35 has a scsi driver much closer to irix 4.0 than that in
> irix 3.3.  All of the drives we have tested (including some
> hitachi 3.5" drives) seem to work just fine.  What kinds of
> problems are you seeing, and at what point (prom, kernel, both)?
> --
> Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

The dirty details of my trials,
    Upon BOOT UP:
SCSI device/cable diagnostic		*FAILED*
Diagnostic failed

    This unit is in the periferal(sp?) bay with the tape drive.
Suspecting the mounting bracket, I switch the two, but had the
same failure with the disk drive again.
    Telling the machine to boot anyways...

Jun  7 22:14:34 sgi grcond[190]: In limbo
 Alive
  driver error 1
 dks0d1s0: invalid sense data, can't determine cause of error
 dks0d1s0: retrying request
 sc0,2,0: Unexpected info phase 46, state 49.  Resetting SCSI bus
 dks0d2s10: SCSI driver error 1
 dks0d2s10: SCSI driver error 1
 dks0d2s10: retrying request
 sc0,2,0: Unexpected info phase 46, state 49.  Resetting SCSI bus
 dks0d2s10: SCSI driver error 1
 sc0,2,0: Unexpected info phase 46, state 49.  Resetting SCSI bus
 dks0d2s7: SCSI driver error 1

At this point, I'm wondering if this mess is properly terminated.
I'll probably go over it with a fine tooth comb again this weekend,
and maybe I'll be up and working.  It's a problem.

	John D. Woolverton, Video Bits
	woolstar at cobalt.caltech.edu