Graphics Console Woes

Randy Carpenter syscrc at GSUSGI1.GSU.EDU
Wed Jun 26 03:33:37 AEST 1991

> I would advise you not to put the CPU in a public area; it can easily be
> reset and booted in single-user mode by following the instructions in the
> documentation.  Silicon Graphics is aware of the problem and they have
> told me that they are looking into it.  I suppose you would have the same
> problem even if the CPU weren't in a public area if you had a power failure
> or system crash...  I have been pushing to have the machine automatically
> boot to multi-user, with, for example, a key switch in the "SECURE"
> position, and boot to PROM monitor or SINGLE user in "LOCAL" mode.
> Perhaps if more of their customers complain, SGI will resolve the problem
> more quickly..
>
> -Stan Johnson
>  NASA / Johnson Space Center
>  Houston, Texas  77058
>  (713) 483-4692
>  johnson at euler.jsc.nasa.gov

Actually, the CPU is in a raised floor computer room one floor beneath
the student lab.  I understand that the graphics console can be placed
up to 150 feet from the CPU, which is within distance of the lab.  So,
the reset button issue is not a problem.  I like your idea of controlling
whether the CPU can be booted in single-user mode with a MODE switch
setting (SGI should really consider implementing this).

However, what I am really trying to do is to get the "System Maintenance
Menu" to display on /dev/ttyd1 *and* have the graphics monitor work too.

Several people have suggested asking for the password on a single-user
boot.  This is unacceptable since the "System Maintenance Menu" is still
displayed on the graphics monitor and not /dev/ttyd1.

Other people have misunderstood my question, thinking that I only wanted
to get rid of the console window upon login.

Is it really true that you cannot have /dev/ttyd1 be the real console
and be able to use the graphics console at the same time?