GNU c++ bashing (was Re: c++ vs ada results)

Andrew Certain certain at sgi.com
Tue Jun 18 03:55:50 AEST 1991

In article <32088 at dime.cs.umass.edu> eli at smectos.CS.UMASS.EDU (Eli Brandt) writes:

>Out of curiosity, have you actually used a GNU compiler?  If so, could you
>specify some of the bugs with which it was "shot through".

When I was taking a computer graphics course at the University of
North Carolina - Chapel Hill, we switched from Sun's C++ to g++ and
experienced several very annoying bugs.  I can't remember what they all
where, but one was the following:

In a class header file, we declared two variables like so:

 image *image1;
 image *image2;

If something was assigned to image2, the program seg faulted.  It we then
made the one change:

 image *image2;
 image *image1;

Then the assignment to image2 worked, but assignments to image1 seg faulted.

Andrew Certain
certain at cs.unc.edu
certain at sgi.com

None of this posting reflects the opinions of my employer.