Using remote tape drive

Fred Velijanian fredv at rigel.acs.uci.edu
Sat Jun 1 01:36:13 AEST 1991

I am trying to use the tape drive on our server 4D/320 from a 4D/25
while upgrading the client from 3.2 to 3.3. Using the #2 option in
the menu (Install system software), I specify the 4D/320's name
(called master) and after a brief pause, I get the following messages:

Copying installation program to disk
Waiting for the tape to become available
Unable to open source tape bootp()master:/dev/tape(mr)
Unable to continue; press Enter to return to menu

I have tried the same procedure from another 4D/25 and a
different EOE1 3.3 tape with the exact results.
While the above messages appear, I check the 320 and
can verify that the "tftp" process has started by user "guest",
and that the tape drive is being used, however after a couple
of minutes "tftp" goes away and the tape rewinds.
The /etc/inetd.conf file specifies "bootp -f" and "tftp" without
the "-s" as documented (sort of).

Using a tape with no installation tools produces an error which
indicates that the original tape is at least being identified as
a an installation tape somewhere along the line.

I think I have followed up all the instructions in the manual
and even the phone support seems to be out of ideas.
Therefore I now turn to the net for any help!!

Thanks

Fred Velijanian
UC Irvine
fredv at vmsa.oac.uci.edu