Small Warning: 4D/35 upgrade and Irix 3.3.3 don't mix

Mark Rosenstein mbr at flash.bellcore.com
Tue Jun 11 13:55:33 AEST 1991

I didn't learn this till too late, so maybe it will save some other
unsuspecting soul. If you upgrade a 4D/25 to a 4D/35 it has to be
running 3.3.2. Maybe unsuprisingly, it can't be upgraded from 3.3.3 as
a 4D/25 and will not run the 3.3.3 tape as a 4D/35 (this is from the
hotline, not an empirical result).

We had a gl bug on our VGX supposedly (but not really) fixed in 3.3.3.
Given our policy of trying not to find incompatabilities between minor
releases I brought 3.3.3 up with no difficulty on our 4D/25s (with 4D/35
upgrades on the way). We also use rdist from the 340 to keep our system
sources in sync, so different releases are a bother.

I tried to bring it up on our 4D/35, but the recommended 3.3.2 inst
tool wouldn't do, but fool that I am I didn't listen to the software
and instead called the hotline, who first recommended using the inst
tool that came with the upgrade, but luckily called me back before I
actually did this and said that the 3.3.3 tape just doesn't run on the
4D/35. Also, I would have to revert the 4D/25s to 3.3.2 before
upgrading them.

So know you know.

Mark.

"Now, Bill, ain't it prime to be a-sailin',
  Slippin' easy, splashin' up the sea,
Dossin' snug aneath the weather-railin',
  Quiddin' bonded Jacky out a-lee?"
      John Masefield
      "A Ballad of Cape St. Vincent" (excerpt)