Using remote tape drive

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Sun Jun 2 05:11:07 AEST 1991

In <28466D6D.7693 at orion.oac.uci.edu> fredv at rigel.acs.uci.edu (Fred Velijanian) writes:

| I am trying to use the tape drive on our server 4D/320 from a 4D/25
| while upgrading the client from 3.2 to 3.3. Using the #2 option in
| the menu (Install system software), I specify the 4D/320's name
| (called master) and after a brief pause, I get the following messages:
|
| Copying installation program to disk
| Waiting for the tape to become available
| Unable to open source tape bootp()master:/dev/tape(mr)
| Unable to continue; press Enter to return to menu
|
| I have tried the same procedure from another 4D/25 and a
| different EOE1 3.3 tape with the exact results.
| While the above messages appear, I check the 320 and
| can verify that the "tftp" process has started by user "guest",
| and that the tape drive is being used, however after a couple
| of minutes "tftp" goes away and the tape rewinds.
| The /etc/inetd.conf file specifies "bootp -f" and "tftp" without
| the "-s" as documented (sort of).

Did you do 'killall -HUP inetd bootp tftpd' after making the change
on the server (or rebooted it since then)?  If not, the change didn't
take effect.  I usually recommend turning on debugging on the server
when seeing these kinds of problems.  Try adding -d to the bootp line,
and -l to the tftpd line in inetd.conf, then do the killall and retry
the install.  Frequently, after this, looking at /usr/adm/SYSLOG on
the server reveals the problem.
--

	Dave Olson