Ethernet connections on PI

Bruce Karsh karsh at trifolium.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jun 13 21:45:31 AEST 1991

In article <346 at ra.nrl-cmf.UUCP> schuette at orion.nrl.navy.mil (Larry Schuette) writes:

>I have to respond to this 'cause, Dave, I strongly disagree.  IMHO the
>ethernet connector on the PI is the PI's single biggest flaw.

The Ethernet connector is Ethernet's single biggest flaw.  It a (sub)standard
though.

>Yes, it is possible to connect the cable, and put the case back on the PI.
>It's even possible to get the connector to stay connected, until somebody
>bumps the machine with his feet (PI's end up under desks and "out of the
>way").  Of course, when the machine is bumped, the cable comes undone
>and the NFS disk farms begin to complain.  And, my biggest complaint,
>I crawl under the desk (to the back of it with all the dust balls) to
>reconnect the cable.

Some old ethernet tranceiver cables are very stiff.  Others are more flexible.
The one I'm using now is Cabletron P/N 9300045-10 and it works well in my
PI.

Also, make sure to close the latch on the connector properly.  They're not
great latches, but they are strong enough to withstand a fair degree of
cable-handling.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh at sgi.com