High speed file transfer: Summary

XIAO Yan xiaoy at bullet.ecf
Thu Jun 27 00:01:23 AEST 1991

Thanks for help from many netters, esp.
	rbriber at poly1.nist.gov
	marks at aivax.radc.af.mil
Here is a summary to do high speed transfer between a 4D to a Mac
without ethernet link.

Using zmodem protocol (on MacIntosh if you have white knight this zmodem
is built-in along with xmodem, kermit, etc), on a serial link of
38400 baud, I got 2700K.  (As rbriber at poly1.nist.gov pointed out, this
speed depends on the access speed of the disk on Mac).
For people who don't have zmodem on Mac side, check uwarchive
[128.252.135.4] in mirrors/info-mac.

On Unix side, you need to set up zmodem package.  rbriber at poly1.nist.gov
sent me the source code and I compiled it first shot. I saw the title
in uwarchive's mirrors/info-mac/unix and you might be able to find it
there.  If you can not find it, I am willing to mail to you, but send
the request to this address: xiao at virtual.rose.utoronto.ca

Above all, I would suggest to get rid of kermit and use zmodem.

Xiao