help with mail (repost)

Andrew Ted Duchowski andrewd at cs.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 11 06:27:17 AEST 1991

I posted this sometime ago, but forgot to include the file, so
I posted a blank message.  No wonder I didn't get any replies -
duhh (sorry for wasting bandwidth).  Here's the original
problem:

Greetings,

I thought I had the damn thing all configured - guess not.  Can
someone help me out with configuring mail on my SGI Personal Iris?

Here's the set-up:

-machine name: ieiris.tamu.edu
-running IRIX 3.3
-want to use mail_bsd interface
-I think I've configured my /usr/lib/sendmail.cf correctly (basically
 followed the hints at the top of the file)
-I think my /etc/init.d/mail set up file is ok too.
-my spool directory is /usr/spool/mqueue
-my post office directory is /usr/mail
-sendmail is running as /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m

Here's the problem:

-lots of files appearing in /usr/spool/mqueue, of the form dfAA13034
 (data files), I can spot some user names in there and stuff, so
 I think sendmail is spooling
-no user can get mail, although I've sent to myself (andrewd at ieiris.tamu.edu)
 from another machine, and I've seen stuff happen in the spool
 directory, there is never any mail for andrewd on ieiris.
-I have seen a process (via ps -ef) resembling "send-mail -i andrewd"
 but I'm not sure what it is or what it is trying to do - I can see
 no reference to "send-mail" in any manual or man page.  Is this
 supposed to be "/bin/mail -d andrewd" or something, and if so, how
 does one change it?
-I've seen the message: "andrewd...recipient name required" come up.
 I can't recall right now exactly what I was doing, but I've seen this.
-I've also seen the message: "(something)...can't resolve name".  I think
 this may be an unrelated problem though, although this is disturbing
 as well (my /etc/hosts file is ok).
-Sending to other local machines, the mail seems to get lost, but doesn't
 bounce (or at least I can't tell if it does).

Is my sendmail.cf seriously f***ed or what?  I've read the "Mail Reference
Manual" but can't seem to come up with anything useful.  Could
someone please help me?

Thanks in advance, and please mail to "andrewd at cs.tamu.edu" with any
ideas/suggestions.

Andrew Duchowski