sendmail.cf

Martin J. Dellwo dellwo at OTTAWA.SCS.UIUC.EDU
Wed Jun 5 05:07:59 AEST 1991

> Just received a new PI 4D/35 and am having trouble with the SGI supplied
> sendmail.cf file.  Does anyone have a version that works with name servers?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> lewsr at capat.gso.uri.edu

We have a few 4D/25's and /35's and I've used the sendmail.cf with no
problems.  I'm running named as a caching only server.  The only
things I changed in the standard sendmail.cf were:
  DD - to full local domain (gso.uri.edu)
  DF - the local host, fully qualified. (capat.gso.uri.edu)
  CF - also the local host but _not_ qualified.  (capat)
  DR,CR - similar to F class and macro, except I put in a nameserver
name.  I actually don't thing this 'works' except with the named
running locally, it never gets 'relayed' anyway--the forwarding host
is sufficient.

The other thing to note is that with the named running, we have a
'domain' entry in the resolv.conf file (in /usr/etc).  The domain in
this file should be the same as in the DD macro in sendmail.cf.  If
you change resolv.conf while sendmail is running, sendmail will be
confused and you need to kill and restart it.  Do a 'ps -ef' to see
what actual arguments were given to run sendmail, kill it and restart
it with the same arguments.  It may also be that you could just send
it a 'kill -HUP' but I don't know this...  The only other thing is
that we're running Yellow Pages, if you are not you may want to add
the line 'hostresorder local bind' to the resolv.conf file.  This
makes sure that it doesn't try to look for yp host entries.  I don't
remember if this is necessary, but you might think about this if you
still have difficulties after following the other suggestions.

Martin Dellwo
dellwo at ottawa.scs.uiuc.edu