IRIS Monitor Sharpness

Steven H. Izen shi at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Jun 21 00:02:40 AEST 1991

In a previous article, devans at SNOWHITE.CIS.UOGUELPH.CA () says:

>In a previous posting Jim Patterson (photon!jhp at ucsd.edu) talked about fuzzy
>PI monitors.  I couldn't agree more!  The 4D/20's I use regularily have pretty
>terrible focus even in the iddle of the screen (not to mention the contrast
>problem.....)

When I first received my 4D/25 The convergence was terrible.  SGI sent me
two more monitors before I finally got one which was within "specs."
On this monitor the lower left corner of the screen is still somewhat fuzzy.

I have seen many SGI monitors in use at the NASA Lewis Research Center, and
the quality  varies greatly.  There is a 340 which has a super sharp beautiful
image, and some others which were worse than the ones which I refused to
accept delivery on.  I think what we have here is a quality control problem.
SGI, to their credit, has tried to keep me satisfied, and some quality control
person told me that he was going to investigate what happened in my case.  But
this was over a year ago, and from the postings that I've seen, the situation
has not improved.  Perhaps, if enough people who are dissatisfied with their
monitors complain, then SGI will change their arrangement with their supplier,
which is, I was told, that the monitors are shipped to the customer without
any testing.  Or maybe even change suppliers.

--
Steven H. Izen, Associate Professor, Dept. of Math. and Stat.
Reply to shi at po.cwru.edu or steve at izen386.math.cwru.edu or