4D-200 series hangs frequently

Jason Heirtzler jdh at pub.bu.edu
Thu Jun 20 10:25:24 AEST 1991

We have a problem with our 4D-220 and 4D-240 series machines
hanging a lot.  The symptoms vary from just the window system
locking up (you can still rlogin in) to sometimes the whole
machine will hang -- and with five 4D-200 series machines, we
probably average one machine hung each day.  Sometimes, when
the machine(s) keep running, various combinations of running
/etc/gl/restart_gl and using the window system "hot key" sequence
(F12-/-whatever) will return the console to normal.  But then,
the other times, only /etc/reboot (or pressing "reset") will do.

After numerous calls to the hotline, there's been no improvment,
and I'm sure I've personally installed every "dot dot" release
since the early 3.1 days.  Everything is running release 3.3.2
at the moment, and I'm waiting for my latest call to be returned
with another "Gee.. dunno.. have you tried 3.3.3?"

The specifics:

	2 25 MHZ IP7 Processors
	FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.0
	CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
	Data cache size: 64 Kbytes
	Instruction cache size: 64 Kbytes
	Main memory size: 16 Mbytes
	Integral Ethernet controller: Version 2
	GT Graphics option installed
	Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93
	Tape drive: unit 7 on SCSI controller 0: QIC 150
	Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
	Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0

Does anyone else have this problem?  We're running everything
pretty generic (no custom device drivers added, for instance) so
it's hard to believe we're alone.  What's the deal?  How do you
get a very serious problem fixed?  Do you think I look forward
to release 4.0?

Jason Heirtzler
Boston University