IRIX 3.3.2 + 8 bitplanes -> ERROR #110 overlay: ...

Ashley Dreier ajd at mullo.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Mar 11 13:06:46 AEST 1991

arier at CS.TECHNION.AC.IL (Arie Rudich) writes:

>Since we installed IRIX 3.3.2 we get the following error message
>on our 4D-20G 8 bitplanes stations:
>  Mar 10 12:25:30 isolde grcond[524]: CIO: ERROR #110  overlay:
>    not enough bitplanes for overlay(2).: ERR_INVALIDVALUE

>and soon afterwards the station freezes, and must be reset.
>Clearly the machines do not have overlay planes, so why request them and
> freeze?

>Has anyone seen this kind of problem? How should we avoid it?

>Regards,
>        Arie Rudich
>        Center for Intelligent Systems
>        Technion, ISRAEL

We are having an identical problem here. It's been this way for about two
weeks, with no solution yet. The configuration here is as follows:
Server - 4D/25 760Meg disk.	IRIX 3.3.2
clients - 6 * 4D/20 - diskless.	IRIX 3.3.2
Other 4D/20 with disk.	IRIX 3.3.1

The problems seem to be only with the diskless clients.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. It's even got the guys from
Silicon Graphics stumped here in Melbourne.
Thanks,

		Ashley Dreier,
		University of Melbourne,
		Melbourne, Australia.