adding 4 mbyte simms (not from sgi, naturally) to a 4d/25

Patricia Monger monger at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 27 15:36:26 AEST 1991

I have a 4d/25 which has 16 mbytes of ram in 1 mbyte simms.  This has proved
to be insufficient, so i bought 4 Kingston 4 mbyte simms from a distributor
here (specifically, what Kingston calls KSG 1600/HU).  Can someone tell me
which of the 16 slots i should use for these simms?  After a few trials, the
best i could manage was to put the 4 mbyte simms into slots 1,3,5,and 7 in
the top row of slots, and the 8 1mbyte simms in the bottom row of slots.
"best i could manage" means that the console comes on, and draws the box, and
says
Running power-on diagonostics
Then after a while it beeps, and then seems to hang, still displaying the
message about running diagnostics.

As an aside, is there a way to get the system to display a bit more information
about what it is doing as it starts up?  Like Suns do, or even Mips machines?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Patricia Monger
Mcmaster University
Hamilton, Ont