Internet vs UNIX domain sockets

Scott E. Townsend fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 19 01:41:03 AEST 1991

I've got an application which uses a locally or network accessed server using
SOCK_STREAM sockets.  My question is wether it's worth the effort to support
both UNIX domain local host sockets and Internet domain network sockets in
the client & server code.  Is the overhead of an Internet domain socket
connected between to processes on the same host significant?

I have both flavors running independently.  But before I start trying to
support both simultaneously I was wondering if the performance boost for
local clients will be worth the trouble.

I've read a bit of "Network Communications Guide" but it doesn't have much
to say regarding performance.

Scott

Scott Townsend               |   Phone: 216-433-8101
NASA Lewis Research Center   |   Mail Stop: 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135       |   Email: fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov