Installing 4M SIMMs on Personal Iris

David Richardson dave at ADCS00.FNAL.GOV
Fri Mar 29 00:36:14 AEST 1991

  As far as we've been able to tell, 4M SIMMs cannot be integrated with
1M SIMMs in the Personal Iris series.  The sixteen slots are actually 4
banks of 4 slots each.  The machine apparently only looks at the first
(upper left) slot in each bank, and assumes that whatever (if anything)
is in the next three slots must be of the same type.
  Also, the SIMMs must be installed in groups of four - one in the first
slot of each bank.  The next group of four SIMMs must be installed in the
second slot of each bank, and so on.

       Installed SIMMs >X|||	X|||
			X|||	X|||
			X|||	X|||
			1234	1234

			X|||	X|||
			X|||	X|||
			X|||	X|||
			1234	1234

  So it appears that if you wish to upgrade with 4M SIMMs, you must find a
new home for your 1M SIMMs (my boss is now quite happy with 16M on his PC).

  Hope this helps.  If anyone knows this to be incorrect, please post a
correction.

Dave Richardson  dave at adcs00.fnal.gov
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
Batavia, Il            (708) 840-3354