/debug

Paul Hilchey hilchey at ucs.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 21 07:16:20 AEST 1991

In article <9103192219.AA00700 at uzi.mit.edu>, eugholz at UZI.MIT.EDU (Eugene Gholz) writes:
|> I'm a little confused about what the directory /debug is for
|> . . .
|> The conclusion of the SGI
|> support staff that I was in touch with was that the only way to get a system
|> backup without errors was to exclude filenames beginning with /debug from my
|> bru command...

The "files" in /debug are actually processes, and if you read or write to
them you will be reading or writing to the processes virtual memory.  To
avoid trying to save them on your backup tapes you should use Bru with the
-m option (don't cross mount points), and specify the filesystems that you
do want to save (typically: / /usr).

____
Paul Hilchey
Computing Services