My XAllocColorCells problem

Mark Bartelt sysmark at physics.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 9 06:40:26 AEST 1991

Yesterday I posted a description of a problem involving a failure in
XAllocColorCells on an IRIS.  Within four hours, I'd gotten replies
from *two* people at SGI (thanks, guys!), both of whom made a correct
analysis/diagnosis, with a suggestion about how to make things work.
(Sure beats waiting a day or two (or longer) for a reply from the SGI
hotline, doesn't it? :-)

In case anyone is interested, all I needed to do was to kill off Xsgi
and restart it with the -pseudo option.  By default, it gets started
with -envm, which makes only 16 color cells available for allocation.

The replies from the SGI folks were the first two to arrive, but since
then I've gotten almost a dozen others, nearly all of which were useful,
and a couple of which even contained a mini-tutorial (well, an overview,
at least) about some salient features of X that the writers thought an
X neophyte ought to know.  Amazing.  Where do all you people find the
*time* to be so helpful?  (He says, realizing full well that he himself
has cadged time from his job to do the same thing on topics about which
he actually knows something. ;-)  Anyway, many thanks.  (And you can bet
I'll be back!)

--

Mark Bartelt                                                416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                          sysmark at cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                        sysmark at cita.utoronto.ca