bootparamd

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Thu Mar 28 07:17:33 AEST 1991

jit at SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) writes:

>Hi, is it ok to disable bootparamd ?  Somebody told me that their
>Sun diskless workstation is booting off my SGI :-)
>I am not using any diskless workstation.

We've seen that problem too.

>Well, how do I disable the bootparam ?  Just comment the bootparam in
>inetd.conf, or anything else in the /etc/services ?

1) Comment out the line inetd.conf
2) 'HUP the inetd process ("/etc/killall -v -HUP inetd")

The file /etc/services does not in and of itself provide an active
"service," only the mapping of ports to names (as used by
getservby{name,port}()).

On sgi.com there is a bootparam in ~ftp/sgi/src that, I think, fixes this
bug.  But don't quote me, there isn't any documentation there about what it
does.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet