supercomputers, DGL, FDDI (longish)

William Krauss tttron at escher.lerc.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 22 04:56:07 AEST 1991

In article <92563 at sgi.sgi.com> tarolli at westcoast.esd.sgi.com (Gary Tarolli) writes:
>I thought I would shed some light on some of the recent DGL discussions...
>
> ...tech stuff deleted...
>

>Second, starting the DGL daemon (called dgld) on the graphics server involves
>a one-time change to /usr/etc/inetd.conf.  The only installing on the
>CLIENT is to make sure the service called sgi-dgl is defined (in /etc/services
>unless you are running YP).

Yup, (it's what I do!!). I realize that there ARE a few things that can be
omitted, I was NOT implying that I was a DGL guru or anything (I just thought
I'd give a general description of what/how it works and my limited experience
with it.) We could get into a technical "joust" but I humbly concede.
Now, I have access to the EXPERTS (I know where you live!!).

>Ethernet performance for rotations etc. and real time motion can be quite good
>if one uses display lists.  To achieve 30 frames per second motion based on
>mouse input requires about 100 packets a second between the client-server.
>This is not impossible on Ethernet.  However, if you attempt to use immediate
>mode graphics and the DGL, then you will be limited by the bandwidth of
>the network.  The wiser option is to use display lists if possible, when
>using the DGL.  That way the network traffic to redisplay an image can
>be reduced by orders of magnitude.  We (SGI) made sure that display lists
>were fast and also supported all the new bgn/v/end commands, so that
>you could take full advantage of all of our new graphics (eg. VGX) and still
>use display lists.  I wrote up a very long and technical chapter regarding
>DGL performance and how to measure and tune it.  See the 4Sight Pgmers Guide,
>Version 3.0, Chapter 6 and Appendix B for more details.

>	Gary Tarolli

Thanks for the info! Now I'm an "armed and dangerous DGL warrior!!"i
(or should I say thanks for the "light!")

-William