fixed /bin/login

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Mar 17 02:32:58 AEST 1991

A few days ago there was talk of a minor anoying bug in /bin/login.

If you turned on some options in login.options, then the login program
would keep asking you to enter a new password each time you logged in.

A fixed login was made available via anon ftp on sgi.com. However, it creates
problems  worse than the problem it fixes. I had to restore the old version
/bin/login because the new version login lost /dev/tty, after a cold reboot.
The fixed program would would exit with a message 'unable to open /dev/tty'.

Another manifstation of a problem was the
console would not find /dev/console, and come up in strange states. These
could be fixed by a stty sane < /dev/console.

This made it impossible to login to the machine via the console, and I had
to go in through the alternate console to restore the old version.
Now things seem ok, but my users will need to keep resetting their password.

Nice try, but this bug need more attention.

Cheers!

| karron at nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |