Showcase - SGI please respond!

James Helman jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
Sun Mar 24 04:22:24 AEST 1991

   By and large, most of the people from SGI that read this newsgroup
   are members of its engineering community, and we are here on a
   strictly voluntary basis.  We aren't in charge of setting policies
   for marketing, distributing, or supporting any of the systems and
   software that we offer.

We should all be pretty thankful that many of SGI's engineers,
scientists and an occasional Veep provide helpful information and
software.  Compare comp.sys.sgi with comp.sys.sun or comp.sys.next.
It's much to SGI's credit that they allow their people to fill in the
numerous ;-} knowledge gaps in the net's collective consciousness.
Their presence tremendously increases the value of the newsgroup and
reduces the Merlin Wall, a.k.a. the DEZ (De-Engineering Zone), which
usually separates the engineering wizards from the outside world.

I agree that it would be nice if we could pick up more goodies via
FTP, but the NSF-Internet issues are messy.  Let's hope that SGI will
do what they can, but not get too pushy about it.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim at KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127