Can I get more than 16M on a 4d70GT?

Michael E. Anderson mea at sgi.com
Fri Mar 15 07:05:09 AEST 1991

In article <raytrace.668888305 at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au> raytrace at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Phil Dench) writes:
>Now that I have money where is the space to put 32M into my 4d70gt?
>Is it possible? I have heard rumours of untried "double height simms" ?
>Is this true?
>
>Alias 3 is such a memory pig with design paint that we need more memory.
>
>HELP!!!
>--
>
>	Phil Dench  Andrew Marriott.
>
>--------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
>                                            | School of Computer Science,
>ACSNet: raytrace at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au  | Curtin University of Technology,
>UUCP:   ...!uunet!munnari!cutmcvax!raytrace | Kent Street,
>ARPA:   raytrace at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au  | Bentley
>                                            | Western Australia, 6102

SGI doesn't support greater than 16MB of main memory local to the 4d70 cpu board.
It does offer up to a total of 144MB (in 16MB increments) using add-in memory
expansion boards for certian versions of the 4d70 cpu board. Also, certain
versions of the 4d70 cpu board were designed to support 4MB SIMM's (single height,
9x4Mb), but this was never verified in-house. If one had the correct cpu board and
everthing worked, then 64MB in 16MB increments would be possible. As for using
"double height simms", I seriously doubt that they would work.

Mike Anderson Advanced Systems Division Silicon Graphics, Inc.