The Future (64 bits) and SGI quad-word alignment

Robert Skinner robert at texas.asd.sgi.com
Fri Mar 1 12:45:23 AEST 1991

In article <6518 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>, dmlaur at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David M. Laur) writes:
|> I realize the -lmpc verion of malloc will give a "quad-word" aligned
|> address (whatever that really means).  But it's not clear to me if
|> that library should (or can) be used on single-processor systems.
|>
|> David Laur    dmlaur at gauguin.princeton.edu
|> Princeton University, Interactive Computer Graphics Lab
|> "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Laurie Anderson

libmpc.a can be used on single-processor systems, and with single
process applications.  There is a *slight* performance penalty if your
application is a single process, because all stdio and memory
allocation routines are semaphored.  (It is very slight, because the
semaphore will never block if the application is a single process).

And of course, you're application will be larger, because libmpc is not
a shared library.

--
Robert Skinner
robert at sgi.com

	My father was a gambler down in Georgia,
	Wound up on the wrong end of a gun,
	I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound,
	Rollin' down highway forty-one.

			- The Allman Brothers