Streams under IRIX?

dale chayes dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 29 00:16:46 AEST 1991

In article <93971 at sgi.sgi.com>, vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

> > > for information on communicating across the network from within a program.
> > You should also look at the Streams mechanism if you are starting from
> > scratch, it might be appropriate to use the "modern" methods.
>

> Well, STREAMS won't help much with Silicon Graphics TCP/IP since IRIX is
> currently and in the forthcoming release firmly socketed.
...lines deleted....

	I guess that I don't understand Vern's comment about not
helping much under IRIX. What I said was "...have a look at this other
mechanism too, as it MIGHT be appropriate....".  I also put modern in
quotes (to imply that I'm not convinced either.)

	The reason I mentioned Streams at all was because, while checking
through my SGI manuals, I FOUND THE STREAMS Primer and STREAMS
Programmer's Guide.  Trivial further investigation produces man pages
for clone() and streamio(7) on my system.  From this (admittedly
weak) evidence, I _assume_ that Streams is supported.

	I had a look at the eoe2 tape to see if there was a optional
module that has to be installed, but found nothing that looked
remotely like streams.

	So, is Streams there or not? (in 3.3xx)

Dale--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
voice:	(914) 359-2900 extension 434	fax: (914) 359-6817