icut [scrsave/gl_readscreen] and RGB mode

dave "who can do? ratmandu!" ratcliffe dave at sgi.com
Fri Mar 1 02:22:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb27.222909.7197 at eecs.wsu.edu> mkibler at eecs.wsu.edu (Michael K. Kibler) writes:
>I have been hacking on icut in order to save the image in a
>different format. I have found what seems to be a problem.
>
>I have an application which creates a window and shades using
>local lighting models and in RGB mode. When I use icut to save
>the image it doesn't seem to work ( I used ipaste to redisplay ).
>I was debugging some of the code and found that getdisplaymode()
>was returning 1 indicating that the window was in CMAP mode but
>I know the window I want to save is in RGB mode. Any ideas?
so icut simply does a system call to scrsave--that's the executable,
NOT the scrsave function that lives in libgutil--which in the
end calls gl_readscreen, a VERY old sore point that we are finally
replacing in the next major software release with an actual *supported*
gl call ("gl_" calls are "hidden" inside libgl_s.a and are never
supposed to be visible to customers/users...  this was supposed to
get replaced w/a valid, supported GL call a long time ago.  it is
finally about to happen...).  anyways, gl_readscreen will create
RGB output of *whatever* is read off the screen, regardless of whatever
from what you wrote, about what yer own code that yer debugging
actually includes in terms of not only the src for icut (completely
trivial), but the src for libgutil.  i am azzuming yer working
with the /usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools/libgutil/*.c modules that
compose the libgutil.a library.  which instance of getdisplaymode()
out of all of this are you seeing the CMAP mode window display identifier
returning from?

>Also is it possible to write a GL equivilant of xwd which would
>allow you to just click in the window of your choice and save it?
i'm pretty dumb about x.  xheads?

--
                                             daveus rattus

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

                              KOYAANISQATSI

   ko.yan.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi Language)  n.  1. crazy life.  2. life
       in turmoil.  3. life out of balance.  4. life disintegrating.
         5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.