Problem starting X apps without csh

Tony Facca fsfacca at ZoSo.lerc.nasa.gov
Sat Mar 2 00:32:43 AEST 1991

>When I run with "csh" as my default shell, I can start X applications
>during startup, but when I use "sh" or "tcsh", I can't.

Just to close the loop, Scott Henry of SGI came up with the proper diagnosis
of the problem.  In summary:

Since the shells might start up differently, depending upon how tcsh is
configured, you cannot be sure that the X DISPLAY environment variable is set.
Apparently the csh gets the information from .cshrc in time, but tcsh didn't,
and of course, sh doesn't use .cshrc

So to ensure that the variable is set, Scott suggested setting it explicitly
in user.ps   This worked:

/RestartActions [
    {
       RunConsole
	   .
	   .
       (DISPLAY) (:0) putenv
	   .
	   .
       (/usr/bin/X11/xclock -hd blue -bg grey -update 1 \
			     -geometry 145x145+1095+835 &) forkunix
       (/usr/bin/X11/xcalendar -geometry 275x185-50-550 &) forkunix
	   .
	   .
    }
] store

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I've been sleeping much better lately..