How to use DEC VMS from SGI telnet window running as iris-ansi-net type

Dave Carek eddc at opus.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 26 02:46:03 AEST 1991

In article <6534 at oasys.dt.navy.mil> hendrix at dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Dane Hendrix) writes:
>In article <6478 at oasys.dt.navy.mil> hendrix at dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Hendrix) writes:
>>In article <910313120022.27405a95 at FNALA.FNAL.GOV> HERBER at FNALA.FNAL.GOV ("Rando
>>lph J. Herber, CD/DCD/SP, x2966") writes:
>>>From:   FNDCD::NAGY         "Frank J. Nagy:VAX Wizard&Loose Cannon" 12-MAR-199
>>1
>>>Subj:   RE: Can you help?  Would you help?
>>>
>>>The answer to using telnet from an SGI (iris-ansi-net terminal type)
>>>on VMS is to SET TERMINAL/ANSI after you login.
>>
>This still doesn't seem to work for me when I try to use TPU or EDT editors.
>Specifically, when I scroll down through the file (using the arrow keys)
>only the bottom line of
>the screen changes.  I have set screen size to 24x80 on SGI.  If you have
>something that works please mail or post the output from show terminal on
>the VAX.  BTW I'm using VMS4.6 and Wollongong WIN/TCP 3.1 (maybe 3.2),
>IRIX 3.3.1 on a 4D/85GT
>

>I have also tried setting the terminal on the VAX to
>SET TERM/WIDTH=80/PAGE=24/ANSI/INSERT/TAB
>same problem.
>
>hendrix at dtoa1.dt.navy.mil

This problem exists when a SET TERM/DEV=VT100 (or whatever VT device) gets
executed from your LOGIN.COM or the system SYLOGIN.COM on the vax. It
doesn't matter if you subsequently issue the SET TERM/ANSI after because
the device will still be set to VT00.  To fix this, change any
SET TERM/DEV=VTXXX in your LOGIN.COM to SET TERM/ANSI/DEV=UNKNOWN or add the
SET TERM/ANSI/DEV=UNKNOWN to your LOGIN.COM if no SET TERM/DEV=XXX line exists.

I recommend putting it in as the last line in your LOGIN.COM

| David Carek                   |   phone: 216-433-8396               |
| NASA Lewis Research Center    |                                     |
| Cleveland, Ohio  44135        |   email: eddc at opus.lerc.nasa.gov    |
| Engineer -> An innovative imaginative scientist who must design the |
|       improbable using the impossible on a budget that is invisible |