Showcase

Ann Sydeman anns at razy.esd.sgi.com
Thu Mar 14 03:50:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.035117.26153 at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, topix at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) writes:
> Does anyone know if SGI is planning to make Showcase available
> by anonymous ftp.  According to the article on Showcase in the current
> issue of IRIS Universe, Showcase will be standard with all new machines.
> Users of currently installed machines can buy Showcase for $100.  Since
> this fee is so nominal, it seems like it is just to cover
> tape/administration/shipping costs.  In addition, the article states
> that source code will be available.  Will the sources be available
> through anonymous ftp?

You're right the low price is to cover our costs. We hadn't planned to
make it available through anonymous ftp but can look into it. Of course,
you wouldn't receive tha manual. However it is on the price list as a
separate product. Showcase will be bundled in 4.0 as well. If you can wait
until then, all systems which are on a maintenance contract will get it
for free.

The source is a different product than the end-user tool. It won't be free.

Hope that answers your questions.

-Ann