Personal Iris lighting problems

Benno Nieswand nieswand at LISBOA.KS.UIUC.EDU
Fri Mar 15 09:10:26 AEST 1991

Robert Ringrose writes:

> It works fine until I put in a call to a routine with the
> following code, part of an attempt to get the current
> projection and modelview matrices:
>

> mmode(MPROJECTION);
> mmode(MVIEWING);

I had similar problems and I worked on it for a long time. It's a
while ago and I don't remember all the details but I discussed the
problem with several people and tried almost every possibility to
figure out the systematics behind the problem.
 I wanted to bind a light to the world coord frame and change
projection and viewing. So I did mmode( MPERSPECTIVE) and change
perspective() AND polarview() without changing the light binding
then I did mmode(MVIEWING) again. This worked fine, as long as I
didn't switch the light off and tried to rebind it. The new source
direction(infinite far away, as supposed) was dependend on the last
projection matrix before the rebind, in contrary to a determined
relativ position to the world coord frame. I'm sure there is a bug.
Another time I had the same problem Robert, so the source rotated.

If there is any solution, please let me know.
           Benno Nieswand