csh and nfs

Alan Davis davis at MASIG2.OCEAN.FSU.EDU
Fri Mar 22 23:33:51 AEST 1991

Mark Ferneau replies:
>In article <9103211941.AA28942 at masig2.ocean.fsu.edu> you write:
>>We have a NeXT machine, v2.0, nfs mounted to our 320 VGX, 3.3.1, that I have
>>been having an ongoing problem that I origionally attributed to an nfs

>You may look at your variables set from inside the csh on the NeXT.
>If you have a variable set called "noglob", then all pattern matching
>will be ignored.  To find out if the variable is set, just type:

>	set

>csh will respond with a list of variables.  If "noglob" is at the
>beginning of one of the lines, then do the following to use pattern
>matching:

>	unset noglob

>It's likely that when you login to the NeXT, either your .login or
>your .cshrc is setting noglob when trying to set your terminal
>type.  You may have a line like "eval `tset -s -Q`" which actually
>will expand to a set of commands, one of which is a set noglob.
>Usually this will only be a problem if the entire command is not
>successful, as the sequence terminates with an unset noglob.

Unfortunately, Mark that is not my problem at all.  When I log into the
IRIS ls * works as expected on any disk that I access that is connected to
one of our IRISes, so my problem is not with set noglob.  Also, if I log
into the NeXT machine, I am able to use the * and ? chars. when trying to
access a file on an IRIS disk that is nfs mounted on the NeXT.  The problem
occurs when I am logged into the IRIS not the NeXT machine, when trying to
access a file on a NeXT disk that is nfs mounted on the IRIS.
          Alan Davis                |
     MS B-174, Love 008A            |
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction Group | INTERNET	davis at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
    Florida State University        | SPAN	fsu1::davis
    Tallahassee, FL 32306-3041      |
         (904) 644-3798             |