getopt and C++

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananapc.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Mar 5 05:03:23 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar04.161843.27932 at cs.ruu.nl>, markov at cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) writes:
|> I have a simple question: How do I use the routine getopt with C++. What I did
|> was to put
|>
|>    extern int getopt(int,char **,char *);
|>
|> in the program. Now the loader complaints that getopt__FiPPcPc is undefined.
|>
|> How do I solve this?
|>
|> Mark Overmars

If you are using C++ 2.0, you should change the extern definition to:

	extern "C" int getopt(int, char**, char*);

The "C" denotes that external routine is a conventional C routine and directs
the compiler to use the non-type-safe (unmangled) name for all references.

       /  \ / / /  / \/  \/   \		"The sky is falling!"
      /    /  \/  /  /\  /    /		 	said Chicken Little
                       *