FAX programs for IRIS

Sam Leffler sam at oxford.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 13 10:14:12 AEST 1991

| 	Are there any FAX programs for the IRIS?  I have heard of one from
| LOGIBRO (ISOFAX) for the SPARCstation but I want something which the IRI
| can manage.  Seems like a natural.

I am in the process of cleaning up a fairly extensive
fax service for the purpose of giving it away.  The
software allows an SGI machine to act as a fax server
for a network of clients.  All the basic stuff you find
in fax products are there and it'll be hooked into the
system manager, the printer system, and the mail
system.  When DPS is available under 4.0, you'll be
able to use it to generate facsimile from PostScript.
Until then, you'll need to use Ghostscript to render
outgoing facsimile (unless it's an image).

Other than the software and an SGI machine, you'll
need a fax modem.  I'll have support for both Class 2
modems and a pre-Class 2 modem that's common on
Macintosh systems.

	Sam