What I'd LOVE to see in SGI's NQS...

Bent Hagemark bh at sgi.com
Fri Mar 15 08:14:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.073500.11533 at s1.msi.umn.edu> molenda at s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) writes:
>I know a new release of NQS will be coming out from SGI some time (soon?)
>and I would like to post my one humble recommendation that I would
>kill to see implemented.
>
>Any managers of NQS out there probably have grown to hate the qmgr
>program.  It's a nifty program and all, but the ways you input things
>for queues is (it seems to me at least) erratic.  I would kill for
>a regularlized interface for specifying stuff for queues.  A format
>that I've thought about a bit would be something like
>Jason Molenda, Tech Support, Iris & News Admin, Minnesota Supercomputer Inst
>molenda at msi.umn.edu || "You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish."

Thanks much for your detailed proposal!  The engineering of the next
release of NQS is done and includes no significant changes to qmgr.
Personally, I don't have much fondness for qmgr, either!  I'd rather
see an ascii file (ala,/etc/printcap) which you can edit directly or
front-end with (better) qmgr commands or even a GUI.  Also, text files are
easily turned into YP maps.  BUT!  I'm in position to promise any of this.
However, we do want to hear what people like and don't like.  This latest
release of NQS was engineered with a fair amount of customer feedback.

Bent