overlay and window manager

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Mar 21 08:19:58 AEST 1991

Is there any system level way to clear the overlay planes after
a program scribbles on them ? Before I write a trivial program to wipe the
overlay/underlay planes, is there any philosophy or guidance from sgi on
the proper practice as to this problem ?

The window manager does not deal with overlay planes, and what ever
is written into them hangs around untill you reopen the application and
let the application clear them.

In the old days, when the pups (popup menus) were written on the overlay
planes, you could clean up smudges with the pups !

This may be a feature, but it is fogging up my screen !

Cheers!

dan.

| karron at nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |