SGI data visualization program. What is the current status ??

Jamie Gulden jamison at boulder.ColoState.EDU
Sat Mar 16 04:13:08 AEST 1991

In article <ianh.668920156 at morgana> ianh at bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>Centre) and Wavefront's Data Visualizer but both seem to be at an early stage
>of development in terms of functionality and stability. I even had a good look
>at AVS on a loaner Decstation 5100 and it looks pretty damn good, but that's
>*not* what I want since AVS doen't ship on SG machines and that is all
>I have - a room full of SG boxes :-)
>
>Any info on this would be more than welcome.
>
>	ian
>--

Well here's my 2 cents worth.

apE is great software for anyone without a large budget (or have managers
that don't like spending money on software (yeah, you go write it, we
bought you those workstations) :).  But it takes some work to use it as
well as liking ALOT of memory.  I am very greatfull to the people at
Ohio for providing the software for $75 so all of us poor folk have
something to use but, if you got the money????

We just got a D&P show of DataVisualizer on thursday and is looked vary
easy to use.  It seems to be better at interactive visualization of
three dimensional data (exp. fluid flow type stuff).  One thing I didn't
think to ask yesterday is if you can get a template of what you want done
and then just throw data sets at it.  This is important to use since we
do a lot of time dependent animation of data.

As for SGI's Chopper (spelling? I've only heard it said, not seen it
written), it is supposed to be ready this summer, expecially for SIGGRAPH
92.  Its supposedly going on preview show some time this spring.  I also
heard rumors that it might be more like a set of routines without an
user interface.  Of course this is all rumors and speculation gathered
from various people, I do not work for and in no way connected to SGI.

Jamison Gulden
Colorado State University - Computer Visualization Laboratory