Makefile madness

michael sweet sweetmr at SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU
Tue Mar 19 08:30:48 AEST 1991

What I do in my makefiles is something like the following:

OBJS = .o files...

..

depend: $(OBJS:.o=.c)
    makedepend -- $(CFLAGS) -- $(OBJS:.o=.c)

By using the modifier on the OBJS variable, I only have to maintain a
single list of object files.  For automated RCS updates, I also have a
list of header files which goes along with the OBJS...  Also, if you do
mixed-language work, you can define say FOBJS for FORTRAN stuff, and
COBJS for C stuff.  Oh, if you _do_ do mixed-language programming, I
have a little shell script which will generate FORTRAN dependencies for
you.  It works in conjunction with makedepend (for any C files) to generate
a new dependency list.

 -Mike Sweet

"The only        TASC                      (315) 724-1100 (voice)
 truth is that   555 French Road           (315) 724-2031 (fax)
 there are no    New Hartford, NY  13413   Internet: sweetmr at sct60a.sunyct.edu
 truths, only beliefs."                    Delphi:   DODGECOLT