fix for login

Sam Bassett RCS samlb at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 5 09:06:39 AEST 1991

In article <88634 at sgi.sgi.com> vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>It is one thing to bend the rules for security fixes in a new sendmail, or
>to blink at them with a sendmail that does MX, since all Internet email is
>supposed to be to or from "academic and research institutions" and so a
>fixed sendmail at commercial site helps the academics.  A similar rational
>seems unlikely for fixing /bin/login at commercial sites.

	Absolute fnortilated bull-bleep!

	What we are asking you to do is to put a copy of a bug fix in
your anonymous ftp directory, so that research and government sites (like
mine) that take such things seriously can get the fix in advance of the
distribution of "cypress", aka IRIX 4.0 which is vaporously reputed to
be happening Real Soon Now.

	I don't see how this can be construed as "commercial use of the
Internet" -- no money is changing hands for services.

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 604-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb at well.sf.ca.us                     samlb at ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'