@host syslogd forwarding

Mike Muuss mike at BRL.MIL
Wed Mar 6 13:39:56 AEST 1991

Our our SGI machines at BRL, we have /etc/syslog.conf set up to use
"@host" forwarding to a central collection machine for certain kinds of
error messages.  Unfortunately, we have discovered that under IRIX
3.3.1, syslogd rarely succeeds in forwarding these messages after the
system is rebooted.  If syslogd is killed and restarted, then network
forwarding of log messages works properly.

I believe that this difficulty is a consequence of the order that
the various daemons are started from within /etc/rc2.d, namely:

S20sysetup:	syslogd
S30network:	routed, portmap, named, inetd.

I suspect that syslogd is unable to resolve the host name given, because
named is not running yet, so it silently discards the @host forwarding.

Phil Dykstra and Bob Reschly report that for BSD UNIX systems, a
different ordering is necessary:

   # NOTE:  The ordering of routing, name service, system logging, RPC port
   # mapping, and finally inetd service is important.  All need get off the
   # ground as soon as possible.  System logging needs name service which
   # is itself dependant on routing.  In addition, RPC port mapping must be
   # running prior to inetd

As a consequence of these observations, I am considering that, at
a minimum, syslogd startup be delayed until after S30network.  Perhaps
syslogd could be moved into it's own file, such as S40syslog, or some
such.

In a few days, I'll probably go ahead and give breaking out a S40syslog
a try. Please let me know if there is a better way of dealing with this
issue.

	Thanks,
	 -Mike