Gnu Emacs using shared memory -- request

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Mon Mar 4 09:40:06 AEST 1991

Does anybody have a version of Gnu emacs for a 4D that uses shared memory.

Or more to the point a makefile to build such a beast!

My understanding of how shared memory works on the SGI (or any SYS V) system
is some what shaky. From what I gather from the manual you have to divide up
the virtual memory space among your applications that use shared memory. We
had to do this on our IBM VM system so I am familiar with this.(The catch
with VM was that you only have 16MB of virtual memory, try mapping the
operating system, SAS and several compilers into that and still leave some
for users to run programs in :-()

Any way you always have to fiddle
installation of programs to make certain that the addresses allocated don't
conflict with anything you have already defined.

I didn't do this when I installed gnu emacs so I assume that it does *not*
use shared memory by default. If I have this all wrong somebody please
enlighten me.

Thanks, Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz>