Dump/Restore for Iris

Mike Muuss mike at BRL.MIL
Tue Mar 12 06:40:26 AEST 1991

@aedc-vax.af.mil:c60244 at ccfiris.aedc

Kenny -

I believe that you are having two separate difficulties with dump/restore.
I have directed my response to the whole list, in case others encounter
similar difficulties.

1)  You need to manually create the file /etc/dumpdates before dump/restore
can use it in processing the "u" option, etc.  This can be done quite
simply by running (as root) this command:

	touch /etc/dumpdates

2)  Your /etc/fstab entries need to include a "raw=" option in them.
For example, here are a few sample entries for one of our machines:

/dev/root		/	efs	rw,raw=/dev/rroot	1 0
/dev/usr		/usr	efs	rw,raw=/dev/rusr	1 0
/dev/dsk/lv0		/vld	efs	rw,raw=/dev/rdsk/lv0,grpid 1 0
/dev/dsk/xyl0d1s7	/a	efs	rw,raw=/dev/rdsk/xyl0d1s7,grpid 1 0

The existance of the "grpid" option is unrelated to dump/restore.
Also note that the penultimate column must contain a "1" in order for
this filesystem to be eligible for dumping.

	Best,
	 -Mike