IRIX 4.00 ?

Thomas Benedict benedict at chaos.utexas.edu
Fri May 31 02:28:19 AEST 1991

Say, I've been seeing several postings refering to IRIX 4.00 coming
out someday.  Sounds good.  But specifically I was wondering if any of
the following were intended to be stuck into 4.00:

IRIX seems to have a problem keeping names straight, especially with
regards to talk.  At this point incorrect names seem to be more the
norm than the exception.  For instance, if I try to talk to someone
else on the system they may see it as a request for a talk from
someone other than me.  On one occasion someone got a request to talk
from himself.

Another biggie on my list is the tape device drivers.  I posted
earlier about lost data because the nrtapens device driver skipped to
end of tape and then rewound, causing a big loss of data.  This is not
only annoying, it's downright dangerous.

The last entry on my 4.00 wish list is X11R4.  We've got X terminals
that will run R4, and even got a new update today.  It hurts to be
running these things at R3, especially when one of the neat features
of R4 is that when an X terminal gets turned off it isn't the pain
that it is under R3 to get it back up and running.

Other than that, does anyone at SGI know when 4.00 will be released?
Or if it's still unannounceable, just a rough guess at what year it
will be out? :)

Tom Benedict
benedict at chaos.utexas.edu
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics