NeWS environment

Peter Silva aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA
Sat May 11 02:28:10 AEST 1991

|> I've noticed that my .login and user.ps files interact in
|> weird and wonderful ways.  It seems the content of my .login
|> is ignored by NeWS when the window manager is started up,
|> depending in some random manner, on what is in the .login
|> and user.ps files.  The variations that cause it to be
|> ignored make no sense to me...  (many changes to the
|> .login will do it, below is just a very simple example)

wow!  It's timing related!  If I put a sleep in the .login
the problem occurs in the good .login as well!

How can you get NeWS to wait for the .login to finish?

What is the order of execution of the various files, and in
what order and precedence (child/parent) are they run?

Basically how does the login process work  ?

--
Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva at cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre