mklv(1M) help on 3.3.1

Jeff Hanson tohanson at gonzo.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue May 14 01:08:14 AEST 1991

Since my mail to Kevin bounces and since this may be of interest to others,
here is how I extended by system disk's /usr partition onto a second disk.

Installation of logical volume with 2 SCSI disks to expand /usr partition on
root disk onto the second.

1.  Make sure the two disks are NOT on the same SCSI address.

2.  Read Sys. Admin. Guide, Chapter 7, Section 4 on Logical Volumes

3.  Backup /usr partition

4.  Insert the following line in /etc/lvtab
	lv0:extension of /usr:devs=/dev/dsk/dks0d1s6,/dev/dsk/dksc0d2s7
Name of logical volume:description:disk partitions (6 on disk1 and all of disk2)

5.  Create fstab.lvol			(Check exports list)
	cp fstab fstab.lvol
	ed fstab.lvol
	s[usr[dsk/lv0[
	s[rusr[rdsk/lv0[
Line is changed from
	/dev/usr /usr efs rw,raw=/dev/rusr 0 0
/dev/dsk/lv0 /usr efs rw,raw=/dev/rdsk/lv0 0 0

6.  Go to single user mode
	init s

7.  Run the following to make the logical volume
	/etc/mklv lv0

8.  Check the file system on the first disk
	fsck /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6

9.  Expand usr partition unto the second disk.
	/etc/growfs /dev/rdsk/lv0

10. Check the logical file system
	fsck /dev/rdsk/lv0

11. Move the modified version of fstab into place
	mv fstab fstab.nolvol
	mv fstab.lvol fstab

	init 2