wondering when/whether our 3.3.2 will arrive ...

John H. Merritt merritt at climate.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat May 25 10:35:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.180228.28409 at Arco.COM> dprmjc at prism.ARCO.COM (M. J. Cole) writes:
[...]

>YES!  Is anyone at SGI listening?  A bug that bit me in 3.2 just got fixed in
>3.3.3.  I heard it through the grapevine and played telephone tag with the hotline for 2 days before being promised a tape.
I suggest that you call SGI every now and again, actually you will here
it here first, about the status of their release tapes.  If you want
it, tell them so and they will most likely send it.  I cannot see the point
of shipping everyone and their grandmother a minor minor release.

>Suggestions for SGI Support:
[...]

>	2) At the introduction of each major release, publish a list of known
>           bugs.  This would provide us with a much appreciated minefield map.
I guess the 1/2 page section "Known Problems and Workarounds" (section
6 of the Owners manual) is just too short. ;-)

>	3) Give hotline workers answering machines.  This would minimize bouts
>	   of telephone tag after a call is assigned.  Frequently I return
Why don't you leave the message with the switchboard operator?  They
will forward it.  In fact, it will get forwarded all the way to the
field engineer, if neccessary.  At some point you have to assume that
someone [the receptionist] can do their job.

              John H. Merritt --> merritt at climate.gsfc.nasa.gov
              Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
              "I am generally intolerant of ignorance,
               but I have made an exception in your case."